Thursday, January 8, 2009

Corn Casserole

UPDATE: Jenny, I found a fake-out Jiffy mix recipe. I think you could probably skip the veg. oil (although the Jiffy box does have lard in the ingredients, but I would think the butter in the casserole recipe would take care of that for you). Click here for the mix recipe.

This is probably my all-time favorite side dish. We make it all the time, and it goes with quite a variety of dinners. I make it to go with taco soup, chili, or even just for me to dig a spoon into. =) You can change it up by adding taco seasoning, chili powder, chives, etc. depending on what you're serving it with. I even saw on a recipe board that someone ate cornbread with a little butter and maple syrup.

Here's the basic recipe:

Ingredients:
1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
1 egg
1 stick of butter, melted
1 can of sweet corn, drained
1 can of creamed corn
Directions:
Mix everything together. Place in a greased baking dish (I use my medium casserole dish, but you could use an 8x8 pan or double the recipe for a 9x13), and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. The center should not be completely set, but the edges should be a golden brown.
Hope you find this recipe as delicious and versatile as I do!

2 comments:

Brandon and Jenny said...

Ok...I need to know what to put in if I can't get Jiffy. I mean, I can find corn meal (or polenta). Can I still make this? It looks so super yummy!

Brandon and Jenny said...

You are the coolest! Thanks!

word verification: clear