Saturday, January 17, 2009

Frittata - Sounds fancy, but it's not!

In this economic crunch, we're trying to eat at home almost exclusively putting me in the kitchen daily. Dinners are easy, but lunch is daunting to me. I get tired of soup and a sandwich every day, and I try to make something that can be sent with my husband to work as well. So we do a lot of leftovers around here. I've recently discovered frittatas and their simplicity and cost-effectiveness. They can be made with just about anything you can dream up, they're so easy to make, and they're different and delicious. Here's the basic idea:
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. In a small, oven-proof skillet over medium heat, sautee your ingredients in a tsp of butter to your desired doneness. Meanwhile, beat your eggs with a fork until all of the yolks are broken and well-mixed. Add your eggs to the skillet, and let sit until the eggs are cooked about an inch around the edges of the pan. Transfer to the oven, and bake until set.
The other day I made a taco pie (recipe courtesy of my sister and will be posted soon). I had more of the filling than I could fit into the pie, so I saved the extras. I also made my new chocolate chip cookie recipe which calls for an egg yolk, so I saved the egg white. I added the ingredients to my small (6-ish inch) skillet (yielding about 1 cup of filling), cooked until reheated, then added the egg white plus one more egg. Just before I put it in the oven, I sprinkled the top with a Mexican blend of cheeses. It took about 8 minutes in the oven, and I had a delicious lunch. Since it was too much for me to finish, I have a delicious Saturday brunch waiting for me.

Other filling ideas: bacon and tomato, shredded chicken with sliced bell peppers, asparagus and proscuitto, ham and cheese...

1 comment:

Brandon and Jenny said...

Yumm!! So is it like a baked omelet? I have to try this.