Friday, January 30, 2009

Homemade Oatmeal Bath

Did you know you could make the oatmeal bath remedy for dry skin at home? My skin doesn't take Texas' changing tides of hot and cold weather very well. I've been using Eucerin daily, but it's just not cutting it. When Hannah was napping yesterday I was really wishing I had some Aveeno bath so I could soak. I looked it up online, and lo and behold, there are tons of homemade recipes out there.

The only non-optional ingredient in the soaking powder is the oatmeal. Process 1 cup of oatmeal in a food processor or a spice grinder until very fine. You can test the consistency by mixing a spoonful into a cup of warm water. If it dissolves and turns the water a milky color, it's ready to go. At this point you can add a few drops of essential oil, dried flower petals, 1 cup of dried milk powder, and a tablespoon of baking soda.

If this will be used for a child, use only the oatmeal (as I did - I have sensitive skin to oils and such). Add the mixture to a tubful of warm (not hot) water, and make sure to soak for at least 15-20 minutes. As soon as you get out of the tub, pat dry and lather up with your favorite lotion. But be careful! This makes the bathtub super slippery.

Happy soaking!

No comments: