Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Solid Stone Coasters for Less

One of our wedding gifts was a set of those absorbing stone coasters with our initials engraved in them. We loved them, but they were white. Even without kids those didn't stay white long. I used to use a bleach solution to clean them, but eventually it ate away at the stone. I really wanted another set, but I'm very cheap and wasn't willing to pay $20 for 4. We had dinner with friends awhile back, and somehow the conversation of coasters came up. I shared my solution and thought I'd share it here too.
A few years ago we were at Lowe's looking for tile for our fireplace surround and hearth remodel, and I loved the 4x4 slate. It looked like the perfect size for coasters, and it was only $5.49 for 9! So we bought them, I cleaned them with soap and water, and I added some cork board to the back so they wouldn't scratch my furniture. You could just as easily use those adhesive felt circles.So, so very easy. The only thing you need to know is to buy the special glue for stone to attach the cork, and let them dry for at least 24 hours before you use them. The vapor from the glue will damage your furniture if it is not completely dry. (Thankfully I read that somewhere and didn't learn the hard way!)

Let me know if you take on this project, and please share pictures!

1 comment:

Glass Coasters said...

If you are adding any other decorations, like paint or glitter, test these designs as well on the paper. When you have an overall design you really like, prepare for your coaster.

Glass Coasters