Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My Garden Mutt

I've been really busy lately, so there's been a lot fewer posts over here. We had a tornado last week, so we spent quite a bit of time cleaning up. We were housesitting next door, and we spent almost every waking moment swimming in her pool which she so graciously offered. Tomorrow is Chris' birthday (it's a BIG one!), and Sunday is Father's Day. Plus we're going away for our anniversary in a couple of weeks, so we've been swamped.
The garden certainly hasn't stopped producing in the meantime. I don't think I've shared this, but I have a pile of grass and weeds that I've pulled out of the garden sitting just outside the fence. I haven't moved it because I noticed a vine growing awhile back, and I thought I'd wait to see what it was. I planted everything in the garden from plants I purchased except for the pumpkin, green beans, and sweet peas. I thought at first that it may be a pumpkin seed sprouting, but I just can't figure it out. The vines look exactly like the cucumber, the leaves are a mix between the watermelon and the zucchini, and the flowers look nothing like any other plants. Now it's producing fruit, so I'm curious to see what that turns out to be. It is, by far, the biggest plant in the yard. So incredibly strange. We refer to it, lovingly, as our "Garden Mutt." Any guesses as to what it could be?
More garden progress:
Look at these creepers! There's no longer room between them to walk. Crazy.
Finally we have 2 sugar snap peas. Unfortunately the plant is succumbing to the heat and is almost all dead, so these are probably the only two we'll yield. Bummer.
Here's the first squash. We finally have some female flowers on the zucchini, so I expect those to spring up any time now.This morning while I was watering, I reached down to move some of the watermelon vines that were trying to overtake the squash, and I found these cuties! I've never grown watermelon before, and I'm so excited to watch them develop. The bottom picture is a watermelon about the size of a golf ball. So fun.