Sunday, July 19, 2009

Barbecue Chicken Pizza

We've been in a homemade pizza kick for awhile now, and this one was a huge hit. If you've never made a pizza at home before, definitely try this! It's simple and delicious.

Barbecue Chicken Pizza
1 tube Pillsbury pizza dough (found in the refrigerator section with the biscuits in a tube)
1/4 plus 1/8 cup barbecue sauce
1/3 cup cooked shredded chicken
1/4 red onion, diced
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
olive oil
shredded Parmesan cheese
fresh or shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease a cookie sheet, and roll out the dough spreading according to package directions. (Note - I used a Pampered Chef pizza stone that I preheated the first time I made this recipe, and it was a disaster. The dough begins to cook immediately, and I was unable to spread it out properly. This time I used a regular cookie sheet that I did not preheat, and it was perfect. I only use the stone when I make my own dough.)
Meanwhile saute diced red onion in olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until translucent. Add brown sugar, and stir. Turn the heat to lo, and add 1/4 cup of barbecue sauce and shredded chicken, and stir to combine.
While the mixture is warming, spread 1/8 cup barbecue sauce over the dough to about 1/2 inch from the edge. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Then spread the chicken mixture evenly. Top with mozzarella cheese.
Bake at 425 for 13-17 minutes or until the crust is browned and the cheese is brown and bubbling.

No comments: