Thursday, February 10, 2011

Killer Cookies

On the afternoon of Superbowl Sunday, I got the urge to bake some cookies to take alongside our other goodies to the Superbowl party. I wanted to change up the traditional chocolate-chip variety. I remembered a recipe I had seen online called Killer Cookies. The original recipe stated that these cookies alone had made over $1,000 at a bake sale. Trying it was a must. My alterations were only due to my limited pantry contents. But, they were so good I'm not sure I'd change it in any way. Here's my spin on things:

Killer Cookies
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
Mix these dry ingredients in a bowl, and set aside
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
Cream these with a mixer. Then add, one at a time,
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon pure Mexican vanilla
Gradually mix in the dry ingredients. Then, stir in
2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
2 cups old-fashioned oats
2 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
The mixture is really crumbly and difficult to mix, but it will all come together. I found that it was easiest to scoop the cookies with an ice cream scoop (the squeezable kind). Any other method just made everything fall apart.
Bake at 350 for 10 minutes on greased cookie sheets. Then, allow the cookies to cool about 10 minute on the sheet. Try to avoid the temptation to dive right in as they will be WAY too messy to handle while hot.
Enjoy!

No comments: