Thursday, September 13, 2012

Road Trippin' 2 - Busy Books

Another idea I had for our cross-country road trip to entertain the kids was a busy book.  I had all kinds of ideas based on books for sale on Etsy, Pinterest boards, and just the knowledge of things I know my kids love.  I decided the best idea for our busy book would be to use all felt.  It's inexpensive, durable, and comes in TONS of colors.  I also knew I'd be able to do more with it faster since it doesn't fray.  Over the course of a few months, I came up with around 20 pages.  Every single one of them has been a huge hit with the kids.  I tried to include lots of fine motor skills (buttons, snaps, zippers) and open-ended play so they could use their imaginations and play with each page indefinitely.  I had as much fun making them as the kids have had playing with them.  I decided not to bind them in any way prior to the road trip.  Since most of the pages have lots of elements and are bulky, I didn't think a book format would work out.  I didn't want them to have to turn the page and work on a page that was backed by bumps and bulk.  I also didn't want them all to be connected so that I could hand one page at a time to each child.  After traveling for hours and hours, I came up with what would work best for us.  I knew they needed to have a sturdy, flat backing, be packaged individually, and have a handle to easily grab it.  I ended up binding them in a folder-type format that is backed with sturdy cardboard with a small handle on each side.  When folded up, they have a hook-and-loop strap to keep them closed.  I bought a plastic hanging file folder box to house them, and they fit perfectly.  And, since each one has a handle, I can easily reach in and grab one at a time.  They're handy since they're all self-contained.  I can grab 2 or 3 for my son to play in the waiting room at my daughter's dance class.  Or I can keep a few in the car for long errands.  Since they're sturdy-backed, they need no table surface to play on.

Have I sold you on them yet?  ;-)  If so, you can head on over to my etsy store and shop to your heart's content!  I listed a bunch of ideas, but let me know if there is anything you'd like that you don't see.  I have a lot of fun creating them from scratch!

4 comments:

Crazy life said...

Great blog site!

jessy said...

I really like your blog it's really nice.

web design company in bangalore
web designing companies in bangalore
web development companies in bangalore
web design company bangalore
web designing company in bangalore

jessy said...

Cool Blog!!

Beats by dr dre
jbl headphones
harman kardon
house of marley

fifa14.vipmmobank said...

There truly ended up people that stumbled on us all along with suggestions involving: ‘Okay, it can be Half Life One, and you will find farm pets, and any cavalry cost, and it's really high tech carbon armour around the farm pets,'" Newell additional.
Cheap Fifa 15 Coins

Fut 15 coins