Saturday, June 8, 2013

Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip


[So sorry this blog has been neglected for those of you who are followers.  My creating has not lessened one bit, but my computer time has tremendously.  With two active and busy kids and another on the way in just 6 short weeks, my blogging has seriously suffered.  But every once in awhile I throw something together that turns out to be a hit, and I don't want to forget the recipe or idea.  So I thought I'd pop back with two recent favorites.  Here's the first!]

Last weekend I helped to hostess a baby shower for a dear friend due a week after me with her first baby girl.  One of the ideas I've been doing lately for baby showers is to get a list of the mom-to-be's cravings and create the menu based on those.  One of her cravings of late is spinach artichoke dip.  I found a great-looking recipe on Allrecipes.com that also had excellent reviews.  But when I went to make it into my 9x13, it barely even covered the bottom of the dish.  So I threw everything back into the bowl and added ingredients until it filled the dish nicely.  The result was delicious!  Here's the recipe if you're interested.

Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip
(pictured above in the front 9x13 dish)
14-oz can artichoke hearts, drained
1 container of shredded 3-cheese blend - Parmesan, Asiago, Romano (I used DiGiorno)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
20 ounces of frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1/2 cup dry minced onions
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 350.
Butter a 9x13 baking dish.

Pulse the artichoke hearts and 3-cheese blend in a food processor until the artichokes are finely diced.

Mix together the artichoke heart and cheese mixture, spinach, garlic, minced onions, heavy cream, sour cream, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, and salt and pepper in a large bowl.  Taste the mixture to see if it needs any more salt or pepper, and adjust the seasonings accordingly.

Spread mixture into the buttered 9x13, and sprinkle the top with the remaining cup of mozzarella cheese.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the edges are lightly browned.

Serve with pita chips, tortilla chips, or spread onto sliced and toasted baguettes.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

This is one of my favorite recipes! Yum!