Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Babyfood - Chicken Noodle Stew

I spent the entire day today in the kitchen making a bunch of baby food and thought I'd share some more recipes and a hint.
First, the hint. I decided to start making actual dinners last time I did a big cooking day instead of just doing one thing at a time. I whipped up some recipes, and it took quite awhile. But when I was done I realized I had a TON of just three different dinners. All that work didn't lead to much variety. This time I decided to do several recipes but to keep the chicken separate. That way I can add variety by adding it to one of the dinners or pairing it with something else entirely or serving it alone.

Okay, now for the recipe:

Homemade Chicken Noodle Stew
Ingredients:
Chicken broth (make your own without the salt or use a low-sodium variety)
Whole-Wheat Noodles (I use these:)
Celery
Carrots
Corn
Peas
Onion
Garlic
Chicken
(I typically just use handfuls of each and don't bother measuring. It really doesn't matter how much of each ingredient you use.)
Directions:
Cut up all the veggies to equal-sized pieces.
You can see I used canned corn (no salt added, drained, and rinsed) and frozen peas. In a skillet, add a sliver of butter and some olive oil. Throw in all of the veggies and sautee until tender stirring often.
Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to the directions. I usually add a couple of minutes to the recommended cook time to make sure they are very, very soft.
When the veggies are tender and the noodles are cooked, stir everything together in a large bowl. Add the chicken (if desired), and stir to combine. Puree the mixture a little at a time, and add chicken broth to thin as needed. When it is a peanut butter consistency, spoon into ice cube trays and freeze overnight.




No comments: