Friday, June 5, 2009

Green Beans and Almonds

I love to cook for people. I think one of the best ways to bless someone is to deliver a hot meal that's been lovingly prepared. Do you know a new mom, someone who has lost someone special to them, or someone going through tough financial times? Call them and tell them not to plan anything for dinner - that you're bringing them a meal. It will knock their socks off. Here's one of my favorite sides to deliver.

Green Beans and Almonds
2 Cups of fresh green beans
1/4 cup sliced almonds
2 Tablespoons butter
a couple shakes of your favorite salt-free seasoning (I use McCormick's garlic and herb)
Fresh ground black pepper
In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add almonds and seasoning, and cook about 5 minutes (enough to lightly toast the almonds). Add the green beans, and toss to coat with the butter and the seasonings and almonds. At this point, I go two ways. If I want the green beans to be more crunchy, I just cook them uncovered until they reach my desired consistency. To give them more of a steamed consistency and meld the flavors better, add about 3 tablespoons of water to the bottom of the pan, and place a lid on top. Check them every couple of minutes. Just before they're done, remove the lid to let the water steam out. Enjoy!

No comments: