Sunday, October 3, 2010

Heart-Healthy Barbecue Sauce

My family and I are spending some time with my parents trying to help them out following my dad's quadruple bypass surgery. I've been busy dreaming up heart-healthy (low fat, low/no sodium, and no sugar) recipes. One of our favorites is homemade barbecue chicken pizza (which we make with whole wheat flour), so I tried to find some good heart-healthy barbecue sauce at the grocery store to no avail. I searched for some recipes and based this recipe off of several of those. It is delicious, and I can't wait to have this on our pizza for dinner!

Heart-Healthy Barbecue Sauce
1/4 white onion, finely chopped
1 small can tomato paste
Diet Coke (I filled the tomato paste can twice to measure)
2 Tablespoons heart-healthy ketchup
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon mustard
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp worchestershire sauce
a shake or two of your favorite Mrs. Dash
In a skillet over medium heat, saute the onion in olive oil until translucent. Add the rest of the ingredients, and stir to combine. Simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes until the flavors combine and the sauce thickens slightly. Add more of your ingredients to taste.

No comments: