Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Corncake Leftover Idea

The corncakes I made the other day were a hit, but it makes quite a bit. With regular fruit and veggie pancakes, I am creative with how to use them up. We use them as the bread in peanut butter and honey sandwiches, toast them in the toaster and top with butter and cinnamon/sugar, etc. But with these savory corncakes, I had to pull out all of my creative energy. The result was a hit with the family. I made chicken pesto mini pizza, but any pizza toppings would be delicious. Here's what I did: Preheat your broiler in your oven making sure you have a rack 6 inches from the top. Spray a baking sheet with Pam, and arrange your corn cakes on top. Spread about a teaspoon of store-bought or homemade basil pesto on each cake. In a separate bowl, shred some chicken, and stir in some Caesar dressing just to coat. Layer this chicken mixture on top of each pesto-topped cake. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, and place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted and browning slightly. Be careful, though, as the line between "slightly browned" and "burnt-to-a-crisp" in the broiler can be a matter of seconds. Enjoy!

No comments: