Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Kale Chips

We LOVE leafy greens around here and have no problem getting them into our diet. So when I saw kale chips on a show a month or two ago, I knew we had to try them. They were a huge hit. But, even if you're not a fan of greens, these are VERY tasty. My 3-year-old and I finished the entire batch in two sittings. In fact, she ate 3/4 of the batch herself and was sorely disappointed when they were gone. I'm thinking we're going to be making these often.


Kale Chips

1 bunch of kale, rinsed and dried

1 tsp or less of canola or olive oil

seasoned salt


Tear the kale off the hard stems, and roughly chop them into small, bite-sized pieces. Toss them in a big bowl with the oil. At the suggestion of my sister, I put the oil in the bottom of the bowl, then added the kale to toss. It would work perfectly if you had one of those oil spritzers since the kale should be coated, but VERY lightly with oil. Sprinkle the kale with seasoned salt, and spread on a baking sheet coated with Pam. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes. You want the edges to be barely browning, and the chips to be crispy. The timing really is the hardest part of this recipe. You'll want to check them often starting at 10 minutes, and they may be done then. I had a handful of chips ready at 10 minutes, but I had to bake the rest for at least 5 minutes more. They are delicious!

No comments: