Saturday, June 25, 2011

Swiss Chicken

I logged on to post an update to my Swiss Chicken recipe only to find that I had never posted the original recipe in the first place! I can't believe this staple hasn't made the blog yet. It's my favorite go-to for nights when I just need comfort food. It works perfectly in the crock pot, freezes easily, and uses mainly pantry ingredients I always have on-hand. I've taken this to church potlucks, dinner clubs, and to friends who have just had babies. Hope you love it as much as we do. (And sorry I don't have a picture. I'll try to remember to snap one the next time I make this.)

Swiss Chicken
4-6 chicken breasts (frozen are perfectly fine)
4-6 slices ofSwiss cheese (1 per chicken breast)
1 can reduced-sodium cream of chicken soup
1 cup of milk
1 box of stuffing mix, any flavor
1 stick of butter, melted

Grease the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish, and preheat the oven to 350. Lay as many chicken breasts as will fit in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then cover each breast with a slice of Swiss cheese. Stir together the soup and the milk, and pour over the top. Sprinkle the entire box of stuffing mix (still dry) over the top, then drizzle with the melted butter. Bake for 55-60 minutes.

Crockpot version: Just layer the ingredients in the same way, and set the crockpot for 8 hours on low. It will most likely be done before then, but I've never had the problem of overcooking or burning with this recipe.

Notes: I had a craving for Thanksgiving dinner the other day, so I made this recipe. I had some leftover whole cranberry sauce from my pork tenderloin recipe, so I topped the chicken with a spoonful of that once I served it, and it was delicious. It definitely hit the spot. It made me realize that this dish would taste delicious using turkey instead of chicken too.

No comments: