Sunday, May 13, 2012

Simple and Sweet Baby Gift

I made a simple garland for the kids' birthday party this year that will serve double-duty as decor for the new playroom.  When I finished, I had some leftover circles in hot pink and yellow.  As I was piling them up, I realized they would make the perfect garland for my sister's new baby if I threw in some grey as well.  Grey, hot pink, and yellow are her nursery colors.  When I got cutting, I decided on pink hearts instead of pink circles.  These garlands could not be easier.  I use the inexpensive store-bought felt rectangles, and free-hand the shapes.  You could do any shapes to match any theme.  And they don't have to be perfect at all!  My circles are about 2 inches in diameter to give you an idea of the scale.  Pile them in the order you'd like for your garland, then run them through the sewing machine.  I sewed down the center and left about 1/4 inch between shapes.  But you could change it up by sewing just across the top, not leaving any space between the shapes, or leaving several inches.  I sewed some grey ribbon to each end, and wrapped it around a cardboard rectangle to ship.  This will be perfect for her to take to the hospital to decorate the bassinet, to frame the front door when they bring the baby home, or to decorate her nursery.  I think this may be my go-to gift from now on.  It's just so quick, inexpensive, and can be so customized.  I love it!

                                       

No comments: