Saturday, August 15, 2009

Canned

A couple of Christmases ago I got all of the equipment needed to can homemade jellies, jams, sauces, etc. Unfortunately life has happened since then leaving me little time to learn a new domestic skill of the like. Friday I pulled everything out to make use of a huge container of strawberries left over from all of our recent company. I bought some rhubarb and made strawberry-rhubarb preserves. It was so rewarding that I used the afternoon to whip up some pepper jelly from the jalapenos from my garden and from my parents' garden. They both turned out well, and I will definitely be canning more in the future...just as soon as I can rid the kitchen of all of the stickiness. Canning is a huge mess!

Recipes can be found here and here.

1 comment:

Brandon and Jenny said...

Can you post on what you need to can? I have no idea, and wouldn't know where to start! :)